Hello doers of darkness! Remix 2011 signups are open
, and we are once again hosting a seven-day chromatic drabblefest for qualifying Remix fandoms
As we stated last year, our challenge toward increasing the presence of chromatic characters in remix
stories is twofold:
- Produce at least seven drabbles featuring chromatic characters that a participant can remix.
- Try to write a remix that features a chromatic character.
We use the term “chromatic” as an umbrella definition for “person of color”, “non-white”, "sourcelander”, “hyphenate”, “diasporian”, "multiracial", "indigenous"; while we acknowledge that it has shortcomings.
To qualify for Remix Redux 2011
, you will need at least five (5) stories of at least 500 words OR
at least seven (7) stories of at least 100 words in any one qualifying fandom. Our list of chromatic characters from this year's qualifying fandoms can be found here
. However, you don't have to participate in remix
to play in our drabblefest and even if you are already qualified for remix
, come play along so that you have more chromatic character stories that can be remixed! Since your remixer can choose from your entire body of works, if you are already qualified, you may also choose to write outside of the list of qualifying fandoms
- The goal is to write a story of at least 100 words in one of the qualifying Remix fandoms, but there are no maximum word limit and no restriction on the fandom written. If you end up writing a longer story or for a non-qualifying fandom, all the more joy.
- Prompts are entirely optional, to be used, subverted or ignored as you please.
- The story must have a chromatic character at the centre of its narrative.
- The story can be posted in its entirety in the comments of each day's prompts post as long as a fandom and a rating is included in the subject -- or merely linked with header information noted.
- Suggestions and requests for fandom or character specific prompts in the comments are welcome, but please be careful that the ratio of prompts to stories does not tilt heavily towards the former.
Our drabblefest will run from March 13th
to March 19th
(North American time zones). Today's prompts can be found here